September 27, 2007
1. DON’T Start shopping until you have a good idea what you want! Prepare yourself by taking measurements, browsing catalogues and looking online before you hit the stores regardless if it’s bedroom or living room furniture.
2. DON’T Impulse Buy – You have to live with it for a long time, and you could be looking at spending a lot of money. Ask to take a photo on your mobile or digital camera, a sample of the fabric, and the measurements and go home and see if it’ll work in the room and you really want it.
3. DON’T Take an Entourage – the more opinions you get will lead to more confusion! Go with the other person you live with or a friend for a second opinion on if that table is big enough for the dining room, or if that sofa is the right colour for the lounge room.
4. DON’T Ignore the salespersons help – yes, they do want you to buy something, but remember, they also know a lot from what the product is made of to what the difference is between products and can decipher the codes and warranties.
5. DON’T Leave home without a tape measure! More often than not the dimensions will be there for you, but it’s Murphy’s law that the desk you want won’t have it’s measurements and all the staff are on lunch the second you walk in the furniture store.
July 18, 2007
There has been a long standing myth that fitted furniture in your home is a bad idea! Why exactly has this ideal come about? Sure there are some cheap deals you can get for fitted furniture, they look cheap because they are cheap and if its value you are looking to add to your home this is not the way to go about it.
However fitted furniture can really add significant value to your home if say you have some awkward alcoves and corners, you can utilise the space far better if you have a bespoke piece of furniture, say a side table, bureau, sofa or built in wardrobe. Made correctly by skilled carpenters and joiners, if you can add a piece of furniture that has been built to fit the exact dimensions and character of your home, your room will look truly individual and not only will you add value to your home but you will get great satisfaction out of your newly designed furniture for years to come!